The holidays are upon us and you know what that means...gift giving season! If you have not done so already, you still have time to add the revenue booster of gift card sales to your salon suite business. We’ll let you in on a little secret the retail industry has known for decades – gift cards are an important source of profit for three reasons. 1. Clients with gift cards spend more. Studies show they spend an average of $20 dollars beyond the value of the gift card. 2. They are more likely to choose your salon for a service because they have a gift card. 3. Many gift cards go unredeemed. The statistics vary widely business to business, but it’s safe to say that a significant portion of purchased gift cards are never redeemed which means “free money” for the business.
So if you’re not selling gift cards this holiday season in your salon suite, you should be. Here are eight ways to merchandise and sell gift cards to maximize revenue for your business:
1. Invest in actual gift cards. People love to give and receive physical items for the holiday's. For small businesses, it’s common to see e-gift certificates and printable paper ones, but investing in actual gift cards for your suite is a good idea. It makes a gift card purchase more “giftable,” legitimizes your small business and establishes your branding. If you use Square for point of purchase, they have a gift card program for small business.
2. Display gift cards in your suite. Make sure clients see and know you have gift cards available for purchase. Create a themed gift card display in your suite. Bonus: a creative and fun display area can become a topic of conversation with your clients and opens the door for chatting about your gift cards.
3. Market your gift cards on your social media sites. Create great-looking images using your gift cards paired with a catchy phrase on your social sites to ensure people know you are selling gift cards.
4. Send out an email/text message letting your clients know about your gift cards. It is easy with your FREE A Suite Salon App to send out texts/emails to your clients letting them know about your gift card program. As it gets closer to the holidays you can send out a final push reminder telling people who need last-minute presents that you have gift cards available.
5. Add a gift card banner to your website. Having a gift card banner on your website will let people know you are selling gift cards. Once the holidays are over, consider adding a permanent gift card link to your website.
6. Mention gift cards. Many suite owners are reluctant to push retail products but a proactive “Do you need any gift cards for holiday gifts?” question before a client pays can go a long way to boosting sales.
7. Offer a discount on gift cards. Up the incentive on purchasing gift cards by offering a small deal. For example, create a promotion where you can get a $25 gift card for $20, a $50 gift card for $45, or two $25 gift cards for $40.
8. Bundle gift cards and retail products. Make a small gift set or retail item free with gift card purchase. This ups the marketability of gift cards for gifting season. We are excited to show you a perfect example of a product tree display by @hairdesignsbymona